Get More COVID Data
For more data on Delaware COVID cases, testing and outcomes, including demographic breakdowns, go to My Healthy Community
Overview of Program
The State of Delaware is expanding options for COVID-19 detection through the addition of an at-home testing option. This method of testing will be prioritized by Division of Public Health based on the most recent data being reported from healthcare providers and other sources throughout the State.
Who can use at-home testing option
This method of testing is available to Delaware residents only. If you are ordering for a family, you will need one email address per person/test.
Division of Public Health encourages any Delawarean over the age of 60 and those in high risk groups to utilize this testing method.
Additionally, Division of Public Health recommends this testing method for the following communities and risks:
New Castle County
- Any student of the University of Delaware
- Wilmington (especially those in zip codes 19801, 19802, and 19805)
- New Castle (those in zip code 19720)
- Any student of Delaware State University
- individuals who attended the recent rodeo in Bridgeville
Individuals who went to the beach or a gathering without social distancing and/or not wearing a face covering at all times are encouraged to get tested using community test sites. Additional information can be found here.
What type of test is this?
The at-home testing option utilizes saliva collection, which has the same effectiveness as the oral swab test. This is not a nasal swab test. This test is performed under the supervision of a Vault healthcare provider through a video telehealth visit, eliminating the risk of person-to-person exposure to the virus.
You will need video teleheath access. Plan ahead if you require assistance with accessing telehealth or administering the test alone.
Please note: This is not an antibody test. This test is designed to determine if you currently are infected with COVID-19 and have the potential to infect others.
How It Works
- Register below with the State of Delaware
- You will need an email to register and a smart phone or video-enabled computer to take the test
- All notifications regarding testing will be sent electronically. No phone calls will be given
- Once you submit a request, you will receive a response within two business days
- If approved, you will receive a link to Vault Health with your test code number. ONLY those with a test code will have access to order their at-home test kit.
- If your request does not meet the criteria for approval, you will be notified via email. Please check de.gov/tested for other testing options in your area
- You will receive your testing kit the next day. The box will be delivered to your address via overnight delivery. Open the box and look for the blue instruction card. Read it carefully. DO NOT OPEN THE TEST TUBE PACKAGE until you are instructed to on your Zoom video call.
- Make sure to download the Zoom app on your smart phone or electronic devices. Your saliva-collection will be supervised by a medical practitioner over the Zoom video call.
- Ship the test kit back. A shipping label is provided at no-cost to the resident. As Friday and weekend shipping does delay the results, all packages should be returned to a UPS box by Thursday afternoon for quickest turnaround.
- You will get a report of your results (positive, negative, or inconclusive) via email 48-72 hours after your sample arrives at the lab.